Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Quilter Acronyms!

Still working on washing and ironing all my fabric that was stored during our move (and since!) It's a bigger job than I thought it would be -- especially in this hot weather. I really don't have much of a stash and so wasn't expecting to be spending so much time on it.

And I still need to get my sewing area set up. I'm going to be down in the basement but my goal is to try to brighten the space up and everything organized so I have a good work flow. Thankfully I have a dehumidifier that I can run to keep everything nice and dry. I thought about setting up in one of our extra bedrooms but I need to have them available as guest rooms (and really don't want to have to pack everything up and put it away every time someone comes to visit!) Plus, I'd like to have a design wall, etc. I'm hoping the basement will be a good choice.

In the meantime -- I'm continuing to enjoy reading lots of different blogs and seeing what others are creating and working on. One thing that I find is that there are a lot of (apparently) standard acronyms used that I've felt a little clueless about. So -- I decided to started Googling them and this is what I came up with:


BOM -- Block of the Month
COC -- Cream on Cream
EQ -- Electric Quilting (software)
F8 -- Fat Eighth
FQ -- Fat Quarter
FWQAL -- Farmer's Wife Quilt-A-Long
HP -- Hand Piecing
HQ -- Hand Quilting
HST -- Half Square Triangle
LAQ -- Longarm Quilter
LAQM -- Longarm Quilting Machine
LQS -- Local Quilt Shop
PHD -- Project Half Done
QAYG -- Quilt As You Go
QOV -- Quilts of Valor (http://www.qovf.org/)
QST -- Quarter Square Triangles
RST -- Right Sides Together
RWB -- Red, White, and Blue
SABLE -- Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy
SEX -- Stash Enhancement EXperience (or Excursion)
SID -- Stitch in the Ditch
TOT -- Tone On Tone
TBQ -- To Be Quilted
UFO -- Unfinished Object
VQB -- Virtual Quilting Bee
WIP -- Work In Progress
WISP -- Work In Slow Progress
WIVSP -- Work In Very Slow Progress
WOF -- Width of Fabric
WOMBAT -- Waste of Money, Batting, and Time
WWIT -- What Was I Thinking?

Nickels -- 5" squares
Dimes -- 10" squares

I'll update this as I come across more!

No comments:

Post a Comment